IE 8 !!! or lower
24. 1.6°C1°C
25. 1.3°C0°C
26. 1.4°C-1°C

Cultural diversity

Religious heritage – churches

Church of St. Nicholas and Virgin Mary in Selo village - Romanesque rotunda

The small round church in the village of Selo amidst the hills of Goričko is ascribed a prominent place among the artistic and sacred monuments of Prekmurje. Legend has it that the church originally belonged to Knights Templar. In addition to its extraordinary Romanesque architecture, two layers of wall paintings are preserved in the rotunda, making it a site of trans-regional significance. It is estimated that the Rotunda was built sometime during the first half of the 13th century (1205–1235).

Because of the architectural characteristics of the rotunda, it is believed that the preserved structure is part of the remains of a medieval edifice. 'The Journey and the Homage to the King by the Three Wise Men' is the only preserved mural composition. It is believed that it dates back to the 1330s. An artistic feel is also conveyed by the fresco depiction of the 'Passion of the Christ' from approx. 1400 AD.

A fun fact for travellers: Entrance to the rotunda symbolises the return of Christ to Jerusalem. To find out why, you are kindly invited to visit the rotunda.

Information for visitors
Distance to Moravske Toplice: Selo, 11 km

You can get an  the Romanesque rotunda information leaflet at TIC (tourist information centre) Selo or TIC Moravske Toplice.

Information
TIC Moravske Toplice organises guided tours (their office in Selo).
Guided tours bookings: +386 2 538 15 20
E: info@moravske-toplice.com

Church of the Ascension of our Lord, the Bogojina village
also known as the Plečnik Church

The church in Bogojina (1924–1927) designed by the architect Jože Plečnik represents one of the most modern sacral buildings in Europe. The state-of-the-art architecture where the 'old' perfectly overlaps the ‘new’ has been crafted to bond with this particular stretch of Prekmuje.  When locals speak about this snow-white structure, they affectionately refer to it as the "white dove". The striking, rotund bell tower, which offers a most enticing sight, is a particularly original feature of the church. An extraordinary interior attribute is the unique ceiling adorned with pottery and ceramics.

Franc Bajlec, a local who was once a student of Plečnik's, informed his teacher about the desire of Parson Ivan Baša and the rest of the people in Bogojina to build a new church.

Plečnik's masterpiece in Bogojina conveys an atmosphere of peace, contemplation, and composure. Plečnik approached the endeavour with due reverence for the ancestors and the historic region of Prekmurje, which became very dear to him. He integrated the building tradition of the region and incorporated elements of early Christian architecture (stone pillars and a wooden horizontal ceiling).

Information for visitors
Distance to Moravske Toplice: Bogojina, 6 km

You can visit the church upon prior arrangement with the rectory in Bogojina.

Information
Bogojina rectory
T: +386 2 547 92 50

The Church of Saint Martin in the Martjanci village

The Gothic church from the 14th century, named after Saint Martin, the patron Saint of the parish and the village, was erected and painted by Johannes Aquila from Gornja Radgona. His frescoes adorn the magnificent presbytery. The artist's depiction of himself – one of the oldest self-portraits in the history of Europeanart – is also preserved in this house of God.

The site is of trans-regional significance, particularly due to the magnificent frescoes. During the latter centuries, the parish church has been marked by a tumultuous and rich history. Therefore, it is regarded as a majestic monument to the pristine artistic identity of the centuries passed.

Information for visitors
Distance to Moravske Toplice: Martjanci, 2 km

You can view the church upon prior arrangement with the rectory in Martjanci.

Information
Martjanci rectory
T: +386 2 538 15 73
M: +386 41 939 394

Protestant church of the Good Shepherd Jesus Christ, Moravske Toplice

In 1889, the mansion that used to stand here was turned into a church, school, rectory, and an apartment for the organist. However, it soon became clear that the renovated mansion was not suitable to serve neither as church, school or apartment, so there was an idea in 1913 to build a new church. A few years later, the locals decided to build a tower next to the existing church.

In 1960, the congregation members started to build a church on the property of the previous mansion which had turned into almost a complete ruin by that time. During that period, the services were held at the fire station in the Moravci village. With the help of the Church of Sweden and great efforts of the locals the church was completed in 1962.

The church of the Moravske Toplice Evangelical Municipality now features a Neo-Gothic bell tower from 1925 and a nave from 1962. The nave is covered by a gable roof, and high windows with a semi-circle on top are incorporated into the walls.
Since 2005, the church has been decorated with a fresco depicting Jesus with lambs by academic artist Nikolaj Beer from Izlake, Slovenia.

In addition to the Slovenian services that are held every Sunday according to the schedule as well as on church holidays at 10 am, there is a short mass held in German language every Sunday at 9.15 am.

Information for visitors
You can view the church upon prior arrangement with the Protestant rectory in Moravske Toplice.

Information
Moravske Toplice Protestant Municipality
T: +386 2 538 13 23
M: +386 41 689 191

The parish Church of Saint Benedict in Goričko, the Prekmurje region

Beckons to the faithful from three bordering nations: the Hungarians, the Austrians, and the native Slovenians. The 'Benedički breg' hill was named after the Benedictine monastic order, which had presumably once inhabited a monastery in this very area. It can be stated with certainty that a church had been built in Sv. Benedikt (St. Benedict) in Kančevci as early as the 11th century. The current church, which was subject to major renovations in 1896, may very well stand on the remains of the ancient church mentioned in local historical documents. The remains of a one-meter-wide brick wall, which in part proceeds through the current church in Kančevci, could represent the ruins of foundations for the north wall of the ancient church or abbey. The tombs from the late medieval period that were found in the nave are presumed to be the remains of a former cemetery. This means the current church literally stands on an ancient burial site.

Archaeological excavations of the nave and the apse of the church in Kančevci are currently in progress. In addition to the uncovered medieval burial site, excavations led to the discovery of silver coins (pieces of silver) from the 16th and 17th century, fragments of medieval ceramics and glass, and iron nails.

Information for visitors
Distance to Moravske Toplice: Kančevci, 11 km

The church can be visited upon prior arrangement with the rectory in Kančevci or with the House of Spiritualism in Kančevci (Slovenian: Dom duhovnosti Kančevci).

Information
Kančevci rectory/monastery
M: +386 41 780 109
T: +386 2 554 11 38
E: dom.duhovnosti.kancevci@rkc.si